Monday, February 10, 2014

The life of Dominic Savio
as narrated by Don Bosco

You yourselves have often asked me to write you something about Dominic Savio, and having done what I could to satisfy your earnest wishes, here then is his life briefly and simply written.
There have been two difficulties in particular in writing this life for you. The first one is the talk which writing about things many people still living have seen and heard gives rise to. I think I have got around this by only writing about the things which we ourselves saw. The second one is that, since Dominic lived here for three years, I have had to speak about myself in different ways. I have tried to overcome this by treating things in as historical a way as possible. If, however, in spite of this I seem to refer to myself unduly, consider it to be the result of the the great affection I have for Dominic and for you all; this lets me talk freely to you and keep no secrets from you.
You might ask me why it is I have written Dominic's life and not that of some of the other boys who had such a reputation for virtue and whom you were so fond of - Gabriel Fascio, Louis Rua, John Massaglia come quickly to mind, apart from many others. It is quite true that the goodness of these boys would make their lives very well worth writing, but Dominic stood out even above these. In any case, I have it in mind with God's help to write something about them for you, so that you can do the same as they did.
In this fifth edition, then, I have added some new details which I hope will also be interesting for those who have read this life in earlier printed editions.
In the meantime, reading about Dominic's life, say to yourselves what the great St. Augustine said in similar circumstances, Si ille cur non ego? That is, if a boy of my age, just like me in every way, who had to meet the same temptations as I have to or worse, could follow Christ with such courage and wholeheartedness, why should I not do the same? Remember that true religion does not mean simply saying things, but doing them. If you read something that you admire, don't content yourself with saying: “This is great”; say rather, “I am going to do the same”.
May God give you and all those who read this little book the grace to benefit from it. May the Blessed Virgin whom Dominic loved so much, grant that we may, all of us, love God with all our heart and soul. For He alone deserves all our love and service.
Fr John Bosco


Chapter 1.
Home – The boy's character – His early goodness
>Dominic's parents, Charles and Brigid Savio, were poor, hard working people and belonged to Castelnuovo d'Asti1 >a little town about ten miles from Turin. In 1841 they went to live in Riva.2
When Dominic was two years old his parents decided to return to their native place and they found a home at Murialdo on the outskirts of Castelnuovo d'Asti.
His parents dearly loved their son and had only one idea – to bring him up as a good Christian. Dominic was naturally good, with a heart which was a fertile field for the things of God. He learned his morning and night prayers readily and could already say them by himself when he was only four years old. He was constantly beside his mother, eager to help her in every way. If he did go off sometimes, it was only to go into some corner and try to say some prayers.
>“From his earliest years”, said his parents, “when children find it very difficult to keep still, and are always wanting to touch and pull things about, Dominic was not only obedient and ready to do anything we asked but was also always trying to do whatever made us happy”.
When his father came home at night from work, Dominic would run to meet him, take his hand, or jump up into his arms, something they noted with interest and with pleasure. “Dear Dad”, he'd say, “how tired you must be. True? You work so hard for me and I'm not always good, in fact I cause trouble. I pray to God to give you health and to make me good”. And with that he would offer him a chair or stool to sit on, would keep him company and do a thousand little things for him. “This was real comfort for me in my work” the father said, “and I was impatient to get home and kiss my Dominic who had won over my heart completely”.
His love did not stop at his parents; his love of God was older than his years. He wanted to say his prayers and never had to be reminded, much less driven, to say them at night and before and after meals. The Angelus too. Rather, it was he who reminded others, should they happen to forget.
One day, distracted by something unusual, his parents sat down to the meal without saying grace. Dominic immediately said, “Dad, we have not said our grace yet”, and began himself to make the Sign of the Cross and say the prayer.
On another occasion there was a visitor in the house who was asked to stay for dinner. When the meal was put on the table, the man sat down and began eating without making the Sign of the Cross or saying any prayer. Dominic did not presume to correct the visitor, but left the table and stayed away until the visitor had gone. When asked by his parents why he had acted in this very unusual way, he said, “I did not like to be at table with one who eats just like animals do.”
St. Dominic Savio,
Pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment